Sunday, January 6, 2013

Preparing to Retire

I retire in about 14 months, and I have been remiss about updating my blog, but want to get cranked up again so that I'm writing often.  I can scarcely remember the mechanics of the blog's settings.

I have one real goal for retirement:  satisfying.   I will only work or make money if I must, or if something compelling comes along I'm really drawn to, and it happens to pay.  I've ordered my life in such a way that's possible.  Decades of doing just what I should equals decades of doing just what I want (within reason).

The chickens this blog started about are unfortunately long gone, but they were a turning point for me after something painful, and I have discovered them both as fascinating creatures and pets, and as some new quirky symbol for my life.

A lifelong friend who writes has a gig as a columnist in a regional publication, where she just spins stories from her life.  I'd love to one day find something like that.  I have entered an essay in a contest, which taught me much.  I have no expectation of winning, but it made me do more than the shoot from the hip blathering I'm known for.  Essays are a learned craft, and it will take practice before I'm good.  What I entered was a solid first effort, made better by some mentoring from my published old friends & cousin.

I need to get back in the swing of writing often, as my best turns of a phrase are always in the heat of the moment, just after I've seen something interesting.  I am counting the days til retirement. I'm burned out and the joy in my job is pretty long gone.  No regrets at all about my life choices, they have led me to this place, and my best days I feel are ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. hi just randomly found this blog in 2023, big chicken fan. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete