Sunday, May 30, 2010

Re-gifted

I've thought about getting my own hens---someday.  But hadn't even considered doing it now.

I arrived home Tuesday after my nightly walk, to find neighbor Scott sitting on the front porch with my husband.  As I ascended the front stairs, I saw a box with a sticky note that said "Merry Christmas".  Scott had brought 4 chickens.   I laughed and said "where are you going to put these?", to which he replied "they're for you."   I guess he'd heard me lament one day that another of the 'neighborhood chickens' had disappeared, and thought I'd like some of my own.

 Oh goodness.  Now what? He told my husband some of the back story...something about a company that got Easter chicks for it's employees--I guess not all the employees were pleased with the gift.  We hope this is all pullets (girls), but it's hard to tell until they get old enough to either crow or lay eggs.

 I live downtown in a big city.  We have no coop.  Wasn't expecting this gift.  Hmmm, now what?  Well, here they are, so I'm an instant chicken farmer.   I decided to name them June, Frosty, Helen and Peg after some longtime friends.  And we do have a fenced yard (not that a chicken can't just fly over the fence), so we're going to see how it goes.  Husband created some roost choices for them, I had at least some scratch on hand (that I keep for Dorothy), and I can make a quick water bowl for them.  Turned them loose in the yard, sprinkled some scratch in the flower bed, and there they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment