Sunday, May 30, 2010

Where do sleeping chickens lie?


Well, my chicken farming days have begun, ready or not.  The girls (we hope they're all girls--too soon to really tell) have been trying out different roosts.  They've rotated around several...will be interesting to see what their final choice is.  I noticed Dorothy has a place on a fence several yards down, where she sleeps each and every night.  And when Blanche was still around, there was a tree branch she headed to every night as the sun went down.  So, I think these girls will pick a place when they find just the right spot, and make that "it".  They're still trying out the choices.

I don't have any pictures of them sleeping on the banana stumps, but a couple of nights each picked a stump and fell promptly to sleep.  My husband put a ladder up in the bananas to see if they like that, and they've spent a couple of nights there.  They like to huddle up together, so 3 were on the top rung, and the one that didn't fit had to descend one level.  A couple of other nights they have chosen the fence post and railing, and they cram themselves very close together, and I guess the 2 most dominant get the post.  Last night, I noticed two of them trying to fit on top of the post, and one sliding off.  When I woke up in the middle of the night, I couldn't resist looking out the window to see how that finally played out.  Chicken 2 was asleep atop chicken 1.  Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment